Everyone has their own idea of what is romantic. For some, it’s red roses and chocolates.
And if you like red, roses and chocolates, that’s great.
However, if you’re looking for some out-of-the-chocolate-box ideas for the most romantic day of the year, here are some unique and romantic things to do for Valentine’s day:
1. Buy him/her a cookbook from a place you’ve holidayed to, a place you want to holiday too, or even just something that interests them. Then, if you have a good sense of adventure (and a great sense of humour, just in case!), cook something from it. Go all out.
2. Can’t cook? Set up a luxury indoor picnic complete with sparkling wine, great finger food, some relaxing music… and the one you love.
3. Get the endorphins pumping with some physical activity. Of course, we’re talking about rock climbing, uphill walking to a great lookout spot, renting a tandem bicycle and riding along the riverside, ice-skating…
4. Make your own gift. A bit of effort, some elbow grease and a touch of creativity and there you have it. Decoupage a breakfast tray table with holiday snaps of the two of you, get shirts printed, something personal you couldn’t buy at the gas station on the way over.
5. Unless you met at some tacky nightclub, recreate your first date. Actually, scrap that and make it especially if you met at some tacky nightclub! Show that special person in your life you still remember the first time ever you saw their face.
6. Buy matching pyjamas. And not the typical V. Day frilly, sexy, animal print variety. Seek out the boldest, most horrendously printed flannel ‘jamies you can find. Because only your true love will truly love you even in a matching panda-print onesie.
7. Book a photo shoot. Face it, you’ll never be this young and good looking again. Capture the moment. On a student budget? You can always hit the automatic photo booth.
8. You’re not going to like this one. Because we are going to suggest doing something you don’t like, but that special s/he in your life does. Go on. Make his/her day by finally agreeing to do that ‘great’ thing s/he’s always wanted to do that makes him/her swoon whilst you just roll your eyes. S/he’ll love ya for it. Promise.
9. Go out to a nice restaurant. What’s so unique about that, you ask? Go dressed in the fashion that was in when you first met! That’s right. You’re very own fancy dress party for two. What could be sweeter?
10. Book a cooking class together. Learn to make a complete meal of delicious dishes you can recreate in special times to come. You can also opt for something a little more easy going like pizza-making courses too.
11. Hang out. Together. You know when you first met, you’d wrack your brain trying to think of things to invite them to? Visit a museum, go to the theatre, try out the new ice-cream place you’ve been meaning to go to. Spend some quality time together and remember what it is that made you fall in love with this person. And them with you.
With love from Artviva, the most unique (and romantic) people you’ll meet in Italy!